The Northside Planning Council (NPC) is a community-based nonprofit serving Madison’s Northside for the past 23 years. NPC owns and operates several high profile enterprises, including the FEED Kitchens, the Northside News, the FEED Bakery Training Program, and Healthy Food For All. NPC is also actively engaged in various neighborhood organizing and economic development initiatives.
We are seeking to hire a .25 FTE bookkeeper (10 hrs/week) that can work out of the FEED Kitchens at 1219 N. Sherman Ave. on a regular schedule.
We are looking for independent, self-directed individuals who are highly motivated by the prospect of serving a diverse, civically engaged community. Our organizational culture is fun, creative and collegial but also very results-oriented. We have limited office space, so we often work in busy environments and collaborate in the cloud. New employees must be very comfortable working with various software products and be able to adapt quickly to new technologies.
Application Deadline: October 14
Please submit (as email attachments) a resume, cover letter, and the phone numbers of three references to Abha Thakkar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Select applicants will be asked to interview. The interview process will include an on-site computer-based test to assess technology proficiency.
Compensation for the position starts at $19/hr and is negotiable based on skills and experience. NPC provides paid vacation, holidays and sick leave for employees over .5 FTE.
BOOKKEEPER POSITION BACKGROUND & DESCRIPTION – 10 HRS/WEEK
NPC is a nonprofit community development corporation with a $600,000 annual budget that operates multiple social enterprises with diverse revenue streams. Along with receiving donations and grant funding, NPC earns advertising revenue from the Northside News, rental income from the FEED Kitchens, product sales from the FEED Bakery, food processing revenue from Healthy Food For All, manages wholesale purchases for FEED businesses, and acts as fiscal agent for several smaller Northside groups. We work with hundreds of donors, hundreds of customers and dozens of vendors. In addition, as a nonprofit, NPC must meet a variety of accounting and reporting requirements at the local and federal level.
The bookkeeper candidate should have an Associate’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, as well as a knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles. We are looking for someone with at least five years of bookkeeping experience, preferably working for a nonprofit, with strong references. Experience with filing state and federal nonprofit tax forms will be given considerable weight.
NPC’s books are maintained in QuickBooks Premiere – Nonprofit Edition 2015. A strong candidate for this position will be thoroughly proficient in a current desktop version of QuickBooks (NOT simply QuickBooks Online), Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Drive, Google Sheets and Dropbox.
- Help refine bookkeeping procedures and policies with strong internal controls
- Maintain Chart of Accounts
- Pay vendor bills in a timely manner
- Generate invoices for customers
- Tag and monitor fixed assets
- Enter projected annual budget figures and report budget vs. actual
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Track and monitor mortgage; record interest vs. principle using an amortization table.
- Collect sales taxes from customers and remit them to the government
- Ensure that receivables are collected promptly
- Enter day-to-day financial transactions
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Maintain the petty cash fund
- Issue financial statements
- Assemble information for external auditors for the annual audit
- Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system to maintain historical records
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable/receivable principles
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Premiere – Nonprofit Edition
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Drive, Google Sheets and Dropbox
- Developing Standards
- Analyzing Information
- Dealing with Complexity
- SFAS Rules
- Attention to Detail